The Jacksons: An American Dream is a five-hour American miniseries broadcast on ABC in 1992. It is based on the early and successful years of the Jackson family from their career at Motown to the beginning of Michael's solo career.
The miniseries was executive produced by Suzanne de Passe and Stan Marguiles, produced by Joyce Eliason, Jermaine Jackson, and Margaret Maldonado and directed by Karen Arthur. The movie was filmed in Los Angeles, California and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Jacksons: An American Dream is based on Katherine Jackson's My Family autobiography. The series was a critical and commercial success, the program won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Choreography.
Part one of the film details how Joseph and Katherine Jackson meet, marry, and raise nine children in the small town of Gary, Indiana. Later, The Jackson 5's early beginnings and growing fame is introduced.
Part two of the film shows the struggles of a young Michael Jackson as he encounters teenage obstacles, deals with his brothers marrying early, experiences the launch of his solo career, and confronts his difficult relationship with his father.
- Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs as Joseph Jackson
- Angela Bassett as Katherine Jackson
- Holly Robinson Peete as Diana Ross
- Margaret Avery as Martha Scruse
- Billy Dee Williams as Berry Gordy
- Vanessa Williams as Suzanne de Passe
- Wylie Draper as Michael Jackson
- Abolade David Olatunde as Michael Jackson (baby)
- Alex Burrall as Michael Jackson (ages 6–8)
- Jason Weaver as Michael Jackson (ages 9–14)
- Colin Steele as Jermaine Jackson
- Jermaine Jackson II as Jermaine Jackson (ages 10–17)
- Terrence Howard as Jackie Jackson
- Bumper Robinson as Jackie Jackson (ages 13–17)
- Monica Calhoun as Rebbie Jackson
- Ebonie Smith as La Toya Jackson
- Kelli Martin as La Toya Jackson (ages 8–10)
- Angel Vargas as Tito Jackson
- Shakiem Jamar Evans as Tito Jackson (ages 11–15)
- Maya Nicole Johnson as Janet Jackson
- Monica Allison as Hazel Gordy
- Robert Redcross as Randy Jackson
- Nicolas Phillips as Randy Jackson (ages 7–9)
- Marcus Maurice as Marlon Jackson
- Floyd Myers Jr. as Marlon Jackson (ages 7–9)
- Jacen Wilkerson as Marlon Jackson (ages 10–15)
Runtime: 240 minutes
Companies: De Passe Entertainment
PolyGram Filmed Entertainment
Stan Margulies Productions
- Jermaine Jackson II played the younger version of his father.
- Kipp Lennon provided teenage and adult Michael Jackson's singing vocals for certain songs, Kipp also provided the singing vocals for Michael Jackson in the Simpsons episode Stark Raving Dad.
- Michael Jackson wanted Angela Bassett to play Katherine.
- This was Terrence Howard's debut production.
- Jason Weaver sang some of Young Michael's song whenever an actual song wasn't playing.
- Wylie Draper who played teenage and adult Michael passed away a year after the series release from leukemia at 24.