MJ & Friends were concerts held by American recording artist Michael Jackson in 1999, with numerous other performers as well. The purpose of the tour was to raise funds for children in Kosovo, Africa and elsewhere. Jackson gave two concerts during the tour. The first one took place in Seoul, South Korea on June 25 (exactly ten years before his death) and the second one was in Munich, Germany June 27th.
Munich bridge accident
At the Munich Concert, while performing Earth Song, the middle section of the bridge collapsed after ascending into the air. Jackson climbed out of the pit that the mechanism landed in, and continued the song without missing a beat. The guitarist Slash was front and center on the main stage at the time: he also continued his performance without missing a beat, while dashing upstage to safety. Jackson finished the concert, but was taken to the Rechts der Isar Hospital afterwards. He suffered sprained ankle, shock nerves and slight burns on arms. None of the fans, crew or backup performers were injured. The crash was confirmed to be a mechanical failure from the crane, as of Kenny Ortega, director of the shows.
The same stunt had been performed without the incident at the first concert in Seoul.
- "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
- "The Way You Make Me Feel"
- "Scream" (contains excerpts of "Jam")
- "Black or White" (contains excerpts of "Beat It" and "Thriller")
- "Billie Jean"
- "Dangerous" (contains excerpts of "Smooth Criminal")
- "Earth Song"
- "You Are Not Alone"
- "Heal The World" (Instrumental)
- Jackson was joined by long-time collaborator Slash during the two concerts.
- She's Out of My Life was reportedly planned for the Seoul concert as a duet with Sade, but was cancelled because of her late arrival