The HIStory World Tour was Michael Jackson's third and last solo concert tour, with 82 concerts attended by 4.5 million fans. The tour spanned the globe with stops in 52 cities, in 35 countries on 5 continents. Unlike the Bad and Dangerous World Tours, the HIStory Tour has never been released on DVD despite numerous fan requests. Amongst it all, several full concerts have been leaked on YouTube.
Royal Brunei Concert
Prior to the HIStory Tour, Jackson performed a free concert at the Jerudong Park Ampitheatre in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei on July 16, 1996. The concert's purpose was a birthday performance for the Sultan of Brunei's 50th birthday. The concert was attended by the royal family of Brunei.
Much of this concert resembled Jackson's Dangerous Tour, keeping the details of the HIStory Tour a close secret. Jackson would later return to Brunei during the HIStory Tour on December 31, 1996.
The concert was never broadcast on TV, but was in possession of private collectors. A high-quality VHS copy has been leaked on YouTube.
- This concert marked the debut live performances of "You Are Not Alone" and "Earth Song".
- This concert also marked the last performances of "Jam", "Human Nature", "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", and "She's Out Of My Life".
- "Jam" has a much shorter ending.
- "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" was performed with Marva Hicks instead of Siedah Garrett.
- "The Way You Make Me Feel" replaces "Working Day And Night".
- "You Are Not Alone" replaces "Will You Be There".
- Instrumentation for "Billie Jean" is slower than the Bad or Dangerous Tours, similar to the upcoming HIStory Tour, but sung live.
- Michael sings the wrong lyrics in the second verse of "Beat It". He also throws his jacket just like the HIStory Tour.
- The 1995 MTV Awards version of "Dangerous" is present in this concert.
- "Heal The World" wasn't performed.
- "Man In The Mirror" ends with a curtain call instead of Rocket Man.
- "Earth Song" wasn't performed with the cherry picker.
- "Brace Yourself" Video Intro
- Wanna Be Starting Something
- Human Nature
- Smooth Criminal
- I Just Can't Stop Loving You
- She's Out Of My Life
- Jackson 5 Medley
- Billie Jean
- The Way You Make Me Feel
- "Black Panther" Video Interlude
- Beat It
- You Are Not Alone
- Black Or White
- Man In The Mirror
- Earth Song (encore)
Set list (1996-1997)
- "Great Gates of Kiev" Video Intro
- Medley: Scream/They Don't Care About Us/In The Closet
- Wanna Be Startin' Something
- Stranger In Moscow
- Smooth Criminal
- "The Wind" Video Interlude
- You Are Not Alone
- The Way You Make Me Feel (select dates)
- Jackson 5 Medley: I Want You Back/The Love You Save/I'll Be There
- Off The Wall Medley (select dates): Rock With You/Off The Wall/Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
- "Remember The Time Montage" Video Interlude
- Billie Jean
- Beat It
- Come Together/D.S. (select dates)
- Blood On The Dance Floor (select dates)
- "Black Panther" Video Interlude (or "Brace Yourself")
- Black Or White
- Earth Song
- "We Are The World" Video Interlude
- Heal The World
- July 16 ,1996 - Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
First leg (Europe)
- September 7, 1996 - Prague, Czech Republic
- September 10, 1996 - Budapest, Hungary
- September 14, 1996 - Bucharest, Romania
- September 17, 1996 - Moscow, Russia
- September 20, 1996 - Warsaw, Poland
- September 24, 1996 - Zaragoza, Spain
- September 28 and 30, October 2, 1996 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
First leg (Africa)
- October 7, 1996 - Tunis, Tunisia
First leg (Asia)
- October 11 and 13, 1996 - Seoul, South Korea
- October 18, 1996 - Taipei, Taiwan
- October 20 ,1996 - Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- October 22, 1996 - Taipei, Taiwan
- October 25, 1996 - Singapore, Singapore
- October 27 and 29, 1996 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- November 1, 1996 - Mumbai, India
- November 5, 1996 - Bangkok, Thailand
First leg (Oceania)
- November 9 and 11, 1996 - Auckland, New Zealand
- November 14 and 16, 1996 - Sydney, Australia
- November 19, 1996 - Brisbane, Australia
- November 22 and 24, 1996 - Melbourne, Australia
- November 26, 1996 - Adelaide, Australia
- November 30, December 2 and 4, 1996 - Perth, Australia
First leg (Asia) Part 2
- December 8 and 10, 1996 - Manila, Philippines
- December 13, 15, 17 and 20, 1996 - Tokyo, Japan
- December 26 and 28, 1996 - Fukuoka, Japan
- December 31, 1996 - Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
First leg (North America)
- January 3 and 4, 1997 - Honolulu, Hawaii
Second leg (Europe)
- May 31, 1997 - Bremen, Germany
- June 3, 1997 - Cologne, Germany
- June 6, 1997 - Bremen, Germany
- June 8 and 10, 1997 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- June 13, 1997 - Kiel, Germany
- June 15, 1997 - Gelsenkirchen, Germany
- June 18, 1997 - Milan, Italy
- June 20, 1997 - Lausanne, Switzerland
- June 22, 1997 - Bettembourg, Luxembourg
- June 25, 1997 - Lyon, France
- June 27 and 29, 1997 - Paris, France
- July 2, 1997 - Vienna, Austria
- July 4 and 6, 1997 - Munich, Germany
- July 9, 1997 - Sheffield, United Kingdom
- July 12, 15 and 17, 1997 - London, United Kingdom
- July 19, 1997 - Dublin, Ireland
- July 25, 1997 - Basel, Switzerland
- July 27, 1997 - Nice, France
- August 1, 1997 - Berlin, Germany
- August 3, 1997 - Leipzig, Germany
- August 10, 1997 - Hockenheim, Germany
- August 14, 1997 - Copenhagen, Denmark
- August 16, 1997 - Gothenburg, Sweden
- August 19, 1997 - Oslo, Norway
- August 22, 1997 - Tallinn, Estonia
- August 24 and 26, 1997 - Helsinki, Finland
- August 29, 1997 - Copenhagen, Denmark
- September 3, 1997 - Ostend, Belgium
- September 6, 1997 - Valladolid, Spain
Third leg (Africa)
- October 4 and 6, 1997 - Cape Town, South Africa
- October 10 and 12, 1997 - Johannesburg, South Africa
- October 15, 1997 - Durban, South Africa
Broadcasts and Recordings
A number of full or near-full concerts were broadcast on television. Here is the list:
- Bucharest, Romania 1996 - The first full televised concert and also the third concert of the tour. The Great Gates of Kiev introduction was filmed off-screen onto the JumboTron, not a direct feed like the other concerts. The footage and audio for the "Remember The Time" Interlude was different from that shown at other concerts. The crowd noises and some crowd footage is from the Dangerous Tour in Bucharest DVD, but the true origin of these sounds is unknown, as the Bucharest DVD contained footage from Wembley, Madrid and several other concerts. During Billie Jean, the playback started late as Jackson covered his mouth to lipsync, and during the final number HIStory, for a brief moment, he sang over playback. This concert was televised by TELE 7 ABC.
- Tunis, Tunisia 1996 - This concert was aired on September 18, 2010 by the Nessma TV channel in Tunisia. Before then, only parts of this concert were shown on television as well as a very poor quality amateur-filmed far from the stage. The broadcast ended at "Heal The World", cutting off the final number, "HIStory". The quality of the broadcast was rather average as the entire concert was on a VHS and broadcast at a low bit rate. A large, spinning Nessma TV logo occasionally rolled across the screen as a means of copyright protection. The concert broadcast twice, with the red ball appearing in different places in both broadcasts (which has allowed fans to re-edit the two broadcasts to remove this logo). During the first broadcast, a scrolling bar of text was placed at the bottom of the screen informing viewers of the second broadcast.
- Seoul, South Korea 1996 - During the performance of "Earth Song", Jackson, (who was up on a cherry picker) was accosted by a male Korean fan who climbed up the crane just to meet Jackson. Michael held on to the man because he had a risk of falling. The man was then taken away by security after the crane was lowered. This concert was commercially released on VHS in Korea. Before the release of the Live in Bucharest DVD, this was the only commercially released Michael Jackson concert. Despite an official release, the versions that have appeared online are poor quality leaks because copy protection of the original VHS has prevented a good quality rip. The intros and endings of some songs are cut off.
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 1996 - Performances of "Come Together/D.S", "Black Or White", "Earth Song", "Heal the World", and "HIStory" were not broadcast. The available broadcasts go up to "Dangerous". Snippets of the October 29 concert (including the aforementioned songs) were also released during a news report on TV1000. Because crotch grabbing is considered impure in Islam, Jackson altered his crotch-grabbing move in this concert. It was televised by NTV7, but so far, only poor quality VCD recordings are known to exist.
- Auckland, New Zealand 1996 - This was the last known professionally filmed concert with the "Off the Wall Medley" and last performance of "Come Together/D.S.". It was also the only known performance of "Billie Jean" with a repeated chorus near the end of the dance sequence. Also, when Jackson began singing "Thriller", for a brief moment, the a cappella could not be heard.
- Sydney, Australia 1996 - Only a few songs were broadcast from this concert, as well as parts from the concert on November 14. Nine Network also showed some footage from the first concert in the days after Jackson died; it is revealed that he sang "Beat It" fully live as the a cappella track was malfunctioning at the time. Just a few hours after the latter performance, Jackson married Debbie Rowe in a civil ceremony in his presidential suite at the Sheraton on the Park Hotel. Also in Sydney, Michael's latest short film "Ghosts" had its film premiere.
- Manila 1996 -